Thursday, February 08, 2007

Amaechi Is Gay. Do You Care?


All the talking heads in the world of sports are talking about ex-NBA player, John Amaechi, coming out of the proverbial closet. Talk show hosts want to hear from from you, America, "Would you care if one of your favorite players admitted to being gay? Would you still root for him?"

Many who use their Christianity to mask their homophobia respond to these calls. "My faith cannot allow me to cheer for someone who would involve themselves in something which is an abomination to God," they might say.

Well. let's think this through. As a sports fan, you will more than likely cheer for some immoral people. The NBA players, for example, are known for sleeping around and doing drugs. There are probably people like that on every team.

Why would I would I single out homosexuality as the sin bad enough for me to turn on a person? Why not breaking marital vows, or having a lot of "casual sex"? Is homosexuality really worse than those things, or does homosexuality just make us more uncomfortable?

I'm not a fan of 'tolerance' since sins hurts the sinner and those around him. Tolerance is not always loving. But it seems to me that a lot more Christians are willing to tolerant of heterosexual sins than homosexual sins. Why is that?

So, are we promoting the sin, if we cheer a basketball player who happens to commit that sin? And, who does leave us to cheer for? Christians only? Sinless people only?

So, if a player says that he is gay, does that mean that you stop rooting for him to do well on the court? I don't think so. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact that Amaechi is gay, or anyone else for that matter, has nothing to do with his salvation. If has believed on the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ, then he is covered with the same blood that anyone else is who has chosen to confess Jesus Christ. Countless gay people love the Lord Jesus Christ with all their hearts. Just get to know some.

shannoncaroland said...

I did not mean to imply that someone who is gay cannot be forgiven and have a relationship with Jesus. This was not intended to be an article about if homosexuals can be Christian.

What it was intended to be was a reaction to the opinions of Christians I was hearing on the radio. Everyone who claimed the faith seemed to feel obliged to be anti-Amaechi. I found this disturbing. I think of this manipulating the faith to justify hatred, a complete bastardization of the faith.

I consider it a joy to meat and get to know anyone who loves the Lord with all of their heart.