Thursday, October 07, 2010

Tozer and Accepting Christ

I've been listening through the audio version A. W. Tozer's "Pursuit of God." In it he mentions that the phrase "Accepting Jesus", which is such popular term in modern Christianity, is nowhere found in Scripture.

However, Colossians 2:6 speaks of receiving Christ.

Do you think Tozer is simply mincing words, or is there a significant difference between accepting Christ and receiving Christ?

Btw, Tozer's larger point, that there is so much more to the gospel than the simple, momentary act of accepting (or receiving) Christ, is well-supported by Colossians 2.

2 comments:

Friar Drew said...

Doesn't Col 1v6 speak to understanding/comprehending the grace of God. I don't see the receiving in this passage. May the two translations (TNIV and NRSV) I checked aren't the best ones.

The more I read the NT, the more I see about Christ accepting us and less about us accepting Christ.

shannoncaroland said...

It is supposed to be 2:6. I will fix that.