Tuesday, December 28, 2004

An annual report

Tom Peters encourages people to make an annual report of their lives in his business leadership book 'project:04'. I encouraged the church to do this last Sunday morning. The title, of the annual report I asked people to make was this: What Jesus did for me in 2004. Here is a slightly edited version of my report:

What Jesus did for me in 2004:

He built new friendships. (I don’t want to list the names here for fear of leaving some out).

He built stronger friendships. (I did not list names for the same reason as above). Blogging and the glccalumni board has allowed me to renew and strengthen several friendships.

He revitalized my relationship with my brother, Brandon.

He developed me further as a father and husband by teaching me more about how to love.

He increased my love and appreciation for my wife, Cindie and vice versa.

He blessed me with a new addition (soon to arrive).

He taught me more about the kingdom, and especially its manifestation within Christian fellowship.

He has developed more partners to carry the load of building the church.

He kept my whole family alive and in relatively good health. He delivered Hannah from her Mother’s Day sickness.

He has not only kept us financially afloat, but has increased our resources.

He taught me to wait on him by delaying our move and the baby’s arrival.

He challenged me with the writings of Rick Warren, John Ortberg, Bill Hybels, and Dallas Willard, and with films like The Passion, Signs, Bruce Almighty, Saved!, Bourne Supremacy, Miracle on 34th Street, and many others.

He kept my fire for church-work burning.

He opened my mind to the bigness of God by causing me to see a place within his kingdom for those I have considered to be liberal theologically.

He used me to comfort some who were dying, some who were losing loved ones, some who faced many other crises.

He used to me to challenge people to deeper, richer, riskier living for the cause of Christ.

He used me to help usher several individuals across the line into God’s good graces.

With my family about expand, and the church in motion, he has set me up for a wonderful and fruitful 2005.

No comments: