Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Everything that I needed to know about prayer, I learned from my 2 year-old

If you didn’t know, I have a two year-old daughter named Hannah. She is the one pictured below on Santa’s lap. We have been letting her do the prayer before meals now and again, and it has proved to be quite cute. Let me share three examples:

1. Hannah began her prayer with pure gibberish. I don’t think she was “in the Spirit” or anything. This is just what she does when she wants to talk, but does not know which words to say. After doing that for about thirty to forty seconds, she closed her prayer with “Twinkle Star… A,B,C… Itsy Spider… Amen”

2. A second prayer came after a bad in potty training. She began with her normal lists of thank you’s for everyone she knows, and then unprompted said, “Sorry to Mommy and Daddy for potty in my pants.”

3. Recently she added a new item to her normal list of Thank you’s. She thanked God for the store. Unfortunately, she caught us giggling at that one. So, last night she said it seven times in a row until she got laugh she desired. “thank your for the store… the store… the store…” (I peak and see she is looking straight at me.) “the store…”

There might be lessons about prayer here. I’ll leave that to you to decide.

No comments: