Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Jesus Is for Losers

When I first heard Steve Taylor’s song by this title, I was rubbed the wrong way. I had great admiration for Steve Taylor, yet how could he say this?

Here is a sampling of the lyrics:

If I was groping
Groping around for some ladder to fame
I am ashamed
If I was hoping
Hoping respect would make a sturdy footstool
I am a fool
Bone-weary every climb
Blindsided every time
Just as I am
I am needy and dry
Jesus is for losers
The self-made need not apply
Just as I am
In a desert crawl
Lord, I'm so thirsty
Take me to the waterfall
He is not saying that the Way is the losing side. He is saying that Jesus is the only place for losers. Through the years, as the Lord has humbled me bit by bit, Taylor’s lyrics have begun to sound like an understatement.

In Acts 4, Peter tells the religious winners (all the ruling priests) that Jesus was the stone you builders rejected, but now he had ascended to the place of greatest prominence. As a loser who knows the sting of rejection, I’ll follow Jesus to victory, tooting his horn all the way.

No comments: