Sunday, May 29, 2005

God to the rescue

2 Samuel 22:2-3
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior-
from violent men you save me.


There are nine terms here (two different terms for rock) which all speak of God's rescuing abilities. Some more modern terms might be guard dog, Mama bear, defense attorney, 401k, anti-lock breaks and power steering, miracle drug, big brother, helmet, safety belt, jaws of life, military, Constitution and Bill of Rights, union rep, firefighter, deadbolt, Onstar, firewall... I'm sure you can think of others.

In doing such brainstorming, we might reveal that we have placed our trust in some of these things rather than God. But the point of the Psalm is the GOD is (fill in your trustworthy protection metaphor).

Let's pray that we would learn to trust him above all, and that he would give us opportunity to display that trust.

No comments: