Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Morning Star Response

I got a question about a post I did last November or December on the "Morning Star". It's from a fellow named Dustin (who I do not know). Dustin said...

Sorry to be posting here, but I wasn't sure if you'd see it if I posted to the post I read. I have a question about your morning star post. What was Jesus saying when he referred to himself as the bright morning star in revelation 22:16? Is this the same kind of phrasing that was used in Isaiah to describe the king? I realize one is greek and one is hebrew but...yeah...Was Jesus a megalomaniac by his own definition, or does he mean he is a guiding light or something?



The term "Bright Morning Star" seems to refer to a new hope... the dawning of a new day. It was a perfect fit for Jesus was indeed the new hope (Luke 4:26-21). But why does he use the term which has been used to mock an evil king? Perhaps, it is to say, "I am what he claimed to be", the same much of the imagery of Revelation is borrowed from current Roman royalty to say "I am who they claim to be". They claim to be the Son of God, I am. He claimed to be the morning star, I am the Bright Morning Star.

I'm not sure what you meant by megalomaniac. This is the primary definition given by dictionary.com: A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence.

Jesus believed himself God, but his assertions were not delusional fantasies. Hope that is the answer that you were looking for.

No comments: