Friday, July 15, 2005

Next to Godliness

Leviticus 11:44-47 "I am the LORD your God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy. Do not make yourselves unclean by any creature that moves about on the ground. 45 I am the LORD who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy.
46 "'These are the regulations concerning animals, birds, every living thing that moves in the water and every creature that moves about on the ground. 47 You must distinguish between the unclean and the clean, between living creatures that may be eaten and those that may not be eaten.'"

The event of Peter's vision (10:9 and following)is monumental. I'm not confident I understand what is happening. But I will give my best shot. Here's my take so far:

1. These animals really had been unclean. Read Leviticus 11. Someone who loved the LORD would have had no part with them. 2. God is not telling Peter that it is okay to eat what is unclean. He is not giving permission to do wrong. The voice said, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." 3. It's not that God has flip-flopped. He has not changed his mind as much as he has changed the animal. These animals which had been unclean were now clean. Another product of the cross, perhaps.

Why would God purify the pig?* The only plausible reason I can think of (and the one spelled out with Peter's imminent involvement with the house of Cornelius) is that it frees his people to the unclean without being infected. I guess it is because he loves people that much.


*Why would God purify a pig? I meant this as a literal question. But taken figuratively, it is the mystery of the cross.

(And the picture came from lutheranwomen.ca)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting observation, I guess I always thought God had changed his stance on the issue. Your perspective has some definite implications. And it's played out in the life of Jesus, isn't it, hanging out with people who were considered unclean.

shannoncaroland said...

Neat, huh? Like I said, I do not think I have all this figured out. But it does jive with Roman 8:18-22 which speaks of creations need for redemption, and how it comes through the Kingdom.