Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Biggest Liar!

NBC's Biggest Loser has an online club. On the info site they have a place to enter your height and weight, so they can give you a free evaluation. The evaluation said that a healthy weight range for me would be 128.9-173.6. That's ludicrous!

I was this height when I was in a senior in high school. Back then I was a skin-and-bones cross-country runner who would runner several miles daily and was semi-careful about what I ate. My weight then: 175!

There is no way I would even want to weigh less now than I did then. What a scam!

They did say that my current BMI (body mass index, I guess) is within a healthy range, even though my current weight is about 25 lbs. over what they say is a healthy weight. Weird. Maybe their calculator is malfunctioning.

2 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

Ben, to say I was athletic is an over statement. I had very little muscle, much less than most the other guys had.

I don't think that standard is healthy or attainable for most men who are about 5' 10".

I know you are a Biggest Loser fan. I am too. I think it is great what they are able to help people accomplish. But I am disappointed in this profile thing.

shannoncaroland said...

http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss/healthy-weight.htm says:

"Example of Healthy Weight (Men)

If you are 5 feet 10 inches, allow yourself 110 pounds plus 10 x 6 pounds. This totals 170 pounds. The healthy weight range for a man of 5 feet 10 inches is therefore approximately 153-187 pounds."

This seems healthier and much more realistic. Several sites, though agree with Biggest Loser. It seems like they are using extreme numbers to motivate people into action. This is how eating disorders start.