Wednesday, August 24, 2005

5 years


In April of 2000, I walked into the lower level of the church building with my then-girlfriend-now-wife Cindie.

"You're late." The observation was Gene's, an elder who had formerly been "in the ministry" himself.

In retrospect, I wonder what I must have looked like. A twenty-two year-old college senior, walking in twenty minutes late, with his girlfriend and without a clue. I credit those guys with great courage, though they probably had very little idea what they were getting themselves into.

Insanely, Cindie and I seemed to have many more reservations about trying to lead people two, three, and four times our age into spiritual maturity. We were terrified. There were many long talks and arguments and fights and tears that went into this decision. But when all was said and done, we knew that this is where God wanted us to be.

Of the fifty-some people that voted, there were five who voted 'no'.

Since that time, one word has defined the way this church me, and my family: grace. I have been instructed, corrected, encouraged and supported by the eldership. We have not had to sweat much about money. We have been cared for like family.

Mark Christian once told me that if you play your cards right, the honeymoon period between minister and church can last for decades. The honeymoon has lasted for five years now, but I credit them more than I credit anything I have done.

2 comments:

ejs said...

How have you changed? Philosophy of ministry, spiritual growth... whatever you think has changed most in the past five years.

What has remained constant, in you?

What do you think needs your immediate attention for the next five years, Lord willing?

shannoncaroland said...

Great questions, look for some answers sometime next week.