Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Numerphobia

This past week, while sorting through the mail at church, I came across an envelope with a hand-written address but no return address. I opened the envelope, and the only thing in it was a "Mega Millions" lottery ticket. The date for the drawing was before the post mark on the envelope. Therefore, I reasoned that the person who sent this had already discovered what it was worth and decided to give it in secret.

Not long ago I was talking to someone and the conversation came up about what we would do if we suddenly had a fortune. This person told me that they would give millions to the church. The conversation made me a touch uncomfortable. First, it seems unhealthy to fantasize about such situations.

Secondly the reality of what likely would happen to the church if we suddenly had millions of dollars scares me. The differing agendas would create intensified conflict. It would be a very difficult test of our unity and character. That kind of money can make people go mad.

So as I checked the numbers on the Mega Millions website, I didn't know whether to be disappointed or relieved that the ticket was not a winner.

Mostly, I was just confused. Why did someone send us a losing lottery ticket?

1 comment:

ejs said...

So many reasons come to mind... Perhaps it is a commentary on what they believe the Church to be; Maybe it was their last purhase, something they now consider to be wrong for themselves and they were sending it along to testify against their decision; Perhaps it was someone's hope to get mentioned in a sermon or a blog... maybe just a brillant individual who knows how to pique interest in all of our minds... my mind is racing with story ideas, most of them wrong I am sure, but a delightful gift you received none the less.