Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Acts 2

Acts 2:42-47 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

It's more than a little odd to me that so many differing visions for what the church should be have been based off this one text. A2 is a conference put on by the good folks at Willow Creek. They see their ministry as a fulfillment of the Acts 2 passage. So do house churches. So does the church at which I serve.

I guess it just hits us in different ways. Maybe that's God's intention. I am encouraged and inspired by the many different ways I am seeing this vision fleshed out. What do you think the fulfillment of that passage would look like.

3 comments:

ejs said...

Was that rhetorical? Because there just isn't enough room in this comments box to give what I want in response to that questions.

shannoncaroland said...

It's not rhetorical. Give me a taste. Take more than one comment box. Write on your own blog about it, and leave a link here. Whatever.

Sam said...

I've been pondering this question for a while. Maybe I will write about it next week on my blog and let you know.